Kandynskyy Vasil Vasylyovych (1866 - 1944)
A famous Russian artist, art theorist, the founder of the abstract art, one of the leading avant-garde of the first half of the XXth century. Born in Moscow. While studying at school he took up painting. In 1892 he brilliantly graduated from the Law Faculty of Moscow University, but decided to devote himself to art. Since 1896 he lived in Munich, where he first studied at the private school of A. A_b_, and since 1900 - in Munich in the Academy of Arts under the guidance of F. Stuck. In 1901 in Munich he founded the art association called "Falange" and a school, on its base, where he taught. In 1909 together with A. Yavlenskyy, A. Kubin, G. M_nter he founded and headed the "New Munich ArtistsХ Association". Since 1900 he participated in the exhibitions of Moscow Association of Artists, in 1910 and 1912 Р in the exhibition "Jack of Diamonds". He published art and critical articles in the magazines "The World of Art" and "Apollo". In 1911 together with F. Marc, he founded the group "Blue Rider". In 1914 he returned to Russia. He conducted active social and humanitarian research work, was a member of Narkomos, the Institute of Artistic Culture and Russian Academy of Artistic Sciences, taught at Higher state artistic and technical workshops. In 1921, not accepting the communistic ideology, he left Russia forever. He moved to Germany, where, at the invitation of the founder of the "Bauhaus" W. Gropius, he led the workshop of wall painting in the city of Weimar. In 1933 he moved to France, lived in Paris and in the town of Neuilly-sur-Seine. Under the influence of surrealism he began to use in his works new biomorphosis elements, similar to the original organisms. The artist's works are stored in the State Tretyakov Gallery, the State Russian Museum, the Centre Pompidou in Paris, National Gallery of Art in Washington, Guggenheim Museum in New York, etc.